FEBRUARY READS

MY FEBRUARY READS

February is coming to an end, and I'm here to share the books that gave me sleepless nights.

I always plan what I want to read every month, but sometimes plans don't always go well. I was kind of disappointed because I had to pause one book because I wasn't feeling it, and I dnf one book that I was so excited to read because I swear to God nothing is happening and I don't understand anything.

I hope that for the month of March and for the coming months, this will never happen again. I hate disappointing myself, and most of all, I hate dnf'ing books. 😣😭

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The Sword of Kaigen
by M. L. Wang

A mother struggling to repress her violent past,
A son struggling to grasp his violent future,
A father blind to the danger that threatens them all.

When the winds of war reach their peninsula, will the Matsuda family have the strength to defend their empire? Or will they tear each other apart before the true enemies even reach their shores?

High on a mountainside at the edge of the Kaigenese Empire live the most powerful warriors in the world, superhumans capable of raising the sea and wielding blades of ice. For hundreds of years, the fighters of the Kusanagi Peninsula have held the Empire’s enemies at bay, earning their frozen spit of land the name ‘The Sword of Kaigen.’

Born into Kusanagi’s legendary Matsuda family, fourteen-year-old Mamoru has always known his purpose: to master his family’s fighting techniques and defend his homeland. But when an outsider arrives and pulls back the curtain on Kaigen’s alleged age of peace, Mamoru realizes that he might not have much time to become the fighter he was bred to be. Worse, the empire he was bred to defend may stand on a foundation of lies.

Misaki told herself that she left the passions of her youth behind when she married into the Matsuda house. Determined to be a good housewife and mother, she hid away her sword, along with everything from her days as a fighter in a faraway country. But with her growing son asking questions about the outside world, the threat of an impending invasion looming across the sea, and her frigid husband grating on her nerves, Misaki finds the fighter in her clawing its way back to the surface.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOOK REVIEW
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

    If there is one book that deserves more than 5 stars, then this book is the one. This is highly recommended by a lot of fantasy readers and I swear it is worth the read!

    I'm still at a loss for words.
    I'm beyond speechless.
    This book just gave me so many mixed emotions, and I'm still having a hard time processing them. 

    Have you read a book that is so beautiful that having a book hangover is a good thing? This is how I'm literally feeling right now because I don't want to let go of this book. I don't want to move on. I WANT MORE! 

    This book doesn't just tackle about fighting. It's about family.
    It's about second chances.
    It's about standing up and protecting your community.
    It's about not giving up.
    It's about seeing the light despite all the hardships that you encounter.
    And just being there for one another. 

    I can't give this book 5 stars because it DESERVES MORE!
    This book deserves all the love and the stars! 
    Genre: Fantasy, Adult Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, Asian Literature, Magic
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sadistic King
by: Aria Cole, River West

This is it. My last chance saloon. Go undercover, find evidence on one of the worst men I’ve ever heard of, take him down and get my unsteady career back on track.

Nothing could be easier, right? I’m an FBI agent. Taking down bad guys is what I’m sworn to do.

Only, the first time I meet Apollo Volos he’s not the bad guy I’m expecting. On the he’s my savior, stepping out of the shadows to rescue me from a man who wants me dead. Or worse. At first, he treats me like a queen, then he treats me like…something else. This isn’t sweet, poetic love. It’s dark, tainted, sadistic and demanding. And I’m responding to it in a way I never expected.

My boss told me Apollo was a monster, that even his kids hate him, but all I see is a man who’s played the cards life dealt him, doing the best for his family and his community. And as for my boss? Well, I’m learning some things about him that are making me wonder exactly who the good guys and bad guys are after all.

But can I ignore my duty and follow my heart? What would that mean for the life I thought I wanted?

And can I ever really put my trust in a man like Apollo?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOOK REVIEW
⭐⭐⭐

This is my very first novella that I read for the month of February. 

I am not a stranger to Aria Cole's novella's because I have been reading her works way, way back years ago and I'm a big fan.
She is one of my go-to authors if I want to read something that is short, and spicy.

This book is not my favorite. It's not bad, but it's not good either.
It was okay.
I wish it was a bit longer though.

Genre: Romance, Novella
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Princely Agreement
by: Alexa Riley

Ella Cinder lost her father and now the step mother she adored can't remember her. After being locked away by her wicked step brothers, a chance meeting with a Prince changes everything.

As the head of his family Leo Prince must do his duty and take a bride. What he doesn't expect is to take one look at the beautiful stranger and give up all his responsibilities.

Warning: Fairy tales are forever so grab your pajamas and get ready for the best kind of bedtime story. We've given these classic tales our own sprinkle of love and can't wait for you to roll around in them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
BOOK REVIEW
⭐⭐⭐

Alexa Riley is another of my go-to author for romance novella's.
Her works is worth the read.

This book is a Cinderella re-telling but spicier and it's a love at first sight trope.
I dig that trope sooo much and I don't care if I get hate for loving that.

The only reason why I gave tis book a three star is because it's not long enough. I need a novel version of this story.
I NEED MORE!

Genre: Fairytale retelling, novella, short stories, romance, contemporary romance
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Towering Contract
by: Alexa Riley

Zelly Prince has given up on finding her happily ever after. When the only man she’s ever loved breaks her heart, she’s shocked when fate decides to throw her into his arms once more.

Flynn Evermore has waited around long enough and it’s time to put his plan into action. Now all he has to do is convince the woman that hates him to be his bride. Locking her in a tower might do the trick but he’s got a better idea to get her to open up.

Warning: Fairy tales are forever so grab your pajamas and get ready for the best kind of bedtime story. We’ve given these classic tales our own sprinkle of love and can’t wait for you to roll around in them
--------------------------------------------------------
BOOK REVIEW
⭐⭐⭐

This is another book from Alexa Riley that I wish it was longer 😞

I like the story so much but it's not enough. I need more!

This story is a re-telling of Tangled or Rapunzel but spicier and sexier.
It's hot! like spicy hot! 😋😉

Genre: Fairytale retelling, novella, short stories, romance, contemporary romance
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Stolen Ones
(Saskia Monet 1)
by: Gwyn Bennet

In a tidy back garden overlooking the ocean, a small wooden flute rests beside a fresh set of footprints. The groan of the garden gate as it swings in the breeze is the only sound. Lucy, just eight years old and lost in her own little world as she played outside after school, is gone.

Forensic psychologist Saskia Monet finds herself caught up in a chilling mystery when Detective Inspector Winter Labey of the Jersey police calls upon her expertise in a case that’s spiralling out of control. Three little girls have vanished without a trace, and each disappearance has been marked by a wooden flute left at the scene, a chilling signature of the kidnapper known as the Pied Piper.

A newcomer to the Channel Island, Saskia isn’t about to share with DI Labey the unsavoury reason she’s here. In fact, she’d rather her handsome, charming brother David wasn’t in her life at all. But as she struggles to keep David’s true nature under control, she begins to notice a number of eerie parallels between him and the Pied Piper. It’s clear that their perpetrator is clever, resourceful, and out for revenge.

As the police close in on their prime suspect, Saskia is increasingly sure they’ve got the wrong man. But her attempts to intervene see her side-lined from the case, with only DI Labey standing beside her.

Then another child is taken, just as a confusing series of ransom notes capture the attention of the police. It’s clear to Saskia that someone evil is orchestrating this terrifying melody, and time is running out. Can Saskia confront the chilling echoes of her own family to silence the Piper's song once and for all?

-------------------------------------------------------------
BOOK REVIEW 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Ever since I got my hands on my very first ARC from Gwyn Bennet, I was immediately hooked and I became an instant fan of her works.

When I start reading The Stolen Ones, I know I'm gonna be at the edge of my seat, and eyes glued to my kindle until bed time. I'm not complaining though. I love the thrill, the challenge, and the sleepless nights.

This book doesn't have only one pov. It has multiple including the pov of the k*ller, the police, and even Saskia's brother.
I just love how us readers are able to read what's on the mind of every character in the book. It's refreshing and very convenient.

What I notice in this book that even though this is a Saskia Monet series, she doesn't have that much exposure in the book. I find it weird at first but after reading a few chapters I feel like, "oh, now I get it."
Every time I read Saskia's pov, I feel like she already said everything including her theories and findings that the police needs to hear and it's up to them to figure out the rest.
Saskia's mind is unbelievable!

Genre: Crime/Thriller, Mystery, Fiction
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~













Comments